Crowded Improvised Air Raid Shelter in Liverpool Street Tube Tunnel
- Former Title(s):
Crowded Improvised Air Raid Shelter in Liverpool Tube Tunnel
- Gelatin silver print on moderately thick, gloss photographic paper mounted on thick, slightly textured, white card
- Mount: 20 x 15 15/16 inches (50.8 x 40.5 cm), Sheet: 13 1/2 x 11 1/2in. (34.3 x 29.2cm), and Image: 13 1/2 x 11 1/2 inches (34.3 x 29.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "PH" (encircled); inscribed in graphite, lower left to lower right on back: "BRANDT / CRowed [sic] Improvised Air-Raid Shelter in LIVerpool Tube Tunnel / p 52 SL"
Signed in black ink, lower right below image: "Bill Brandt"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of the Parnassus Foundation, courtesy of Jane and Raphael Bernstein
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- advertisements | architectural subject | blankets | bodies | bombs | bottle | children | cityscape | clock | crowding | genre subject | historical subject | iron | night | platform | shelter | sleeping | steel | subway | trains | tunnel | wall | war
- Associated Places:
- City of London | England | Europe | Greater London | London | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Bill Brandt, 1904–1983, British, Crowded Improvised Air Raid Shelter in Liverpool Street Tube Tunnel, 1940
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.