IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by James McNeill Whistler, 1834–1903, American, active in Britain (from 1859), Bunting, 1887
- Part Of:
- Etching on medium, slightly textured, cream antique laid paper
- Sheet: 6 15/16 x 4 7/8 inches (17.7 x 12.4 cm), Sheet: 6 7/8 x 4 7/8 inches (17.4 x 12.4 cm), Plate: 6 7/8 x 4 7/8 inches (17.4 x 12.4 cm), Image: 6 7/8 x 4 7/8 inches (17.4 x 12.4 cm)
Collector's mark, verso: Howard Mansfield (Lugt 1342); collectors mark: Harris G. Whittemore (Lugt 1384a)
Lower left within image: butterfly design representing Whistler's signature
Signed with graphite butterfly monogram, lower left
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Robert N. Whittemore, Yale BS 1943
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | bunting | caps | flags | fleet review | flotilla | genre subject | jackets | jubilee | marine art | masts | men | navy | pulleys | railing | ropes | sailing | sea | seamen | ships | trousers | wind
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Hampshire | Spithead | The Solent | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Whistler " The Naval Review " (Yale Center for British Art, 2005-05-19 - 2005-08-15) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.