Painting in Compartments under Windows, Shields in the Frieze under the Sills of Windows, and Compartments on South Side next East End, St Stephen's Chapel
- Former Title(s):
St. Stephen's Chapel
- between 1790 and 1802
- Graphite and pen and black ink on slightly textured, medium thickness, white wove paper with two fold marks
- Sheet: 13 7/8 × 10 13/16 inches (35.2 × 27.5 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, upper right: "St Stephens chapel | 10"; in pen and black ink, left: "painting in compartments under | windows"; in pen and black ink, right: "shields in the fr[i]eze under | cills of windows"; in pen and black ink, lower left: "Compartments on south | side near east end, making the | three seats for the officiating priests"; in graphite, lower right: "Ambu[?latory]; in graphite, lower right: "mind about opening | of this [..]ggl[...]d"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | church | screen
- Associated Places:
- City of Westminster | England | House of Commons | London | Palace of Westminster | St. Stephen's Chapel, Palace of Westminster | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Attributed to John Carter, 1748–1817, British, Painting in Compartments under Windows, Shields in the Frieze under the Sills of Windows, and Compartments on South Side next East End, St Stephen's Chapel, between 1790 and 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.