Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, Doctor Syntax loses his Money on the Race Ground at York, 1820
Doctor Syntax loses his Money on the Race Ground at York
- Watercolor and graphite with pen and black ink, pen and gray ink, and pen and red-brown ink on medium medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- 4 5/16 x 6 13/16 inches (11 x 17.3 cm)
Inscribed in pen in brown ink, lower left: "Newmarket"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- building | crowd | dog (animal) | fence | hats | horses (animals) | jockeys | men | money | race (event) | racetrack | racing | sporting art | windmills | windows | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | North Yorkshire | United Kingdom | York
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.