The Vicar of Wakefield: The Surprise
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: Graphite Tracing in Reverse of Recto Design
- ca. 1817
- Watercolor, pen and red-brown ink; verso: graphite on medium, smooth, blued white wove paper
- Sheet: 4 9/16 x 7 1/2 inches (11.6 x 19.1 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in pen and brown ink, lower left: "T. Rowlandson"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bonnets (hats) | candles | candlesticks | chairs | curtain | dining room | doorway | genre subject | hats | men | paintings | table (support furniture) | vicar | windows | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | United Kingdom | Wakefield | Yorkshire
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, The Vicar of Wakefield: The Surprise, ca. 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.