The Vicar of Wakefield: The Surprise
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: Graphite Tracing in Reverse of Recto Design
- ca. 1817
- Watercolor, pen and red-brown ink; verso: graphite on medium, smooth, blued white wove paper
- Sheet: 4 9/16 x 7 1/2 inches (11.6 x 19.1 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in pen and brown ink, lower left: "T. Rowlandson"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bonnets (hats) | candles | candlesticks | chairs | curtain | dining room | doorway | genre subject | hats | men | paintings | table (support furniture) | vicar | windows | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | United Kingdom | Wakefield | Yorkshire
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, The Vicar of Wakefield: The Surprise, ca. 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.