IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, Dr Syntax Alarmed by a Whale, 1812
Dr Syntax Alarmed by a Whale
- Additional Title(s):
Dr. Syntax Frightened by a Whale
- Watercolor with pen and red-brown ink over graphite; verso, lower left: splotches of red, green and blue watercolor on medium, moderately textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 5 5/8 x 9 inches (14.3 x 22.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower right: "Dr. Syntax alarmed by a Whale"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- elderly | genre subject | hat | hills | horse (animal) | man | marine art | village | water | wig
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.