IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
James McNeill Whistler, 1834–1903, American, active in Britain (from 1859), The Open Book, 1861
The Open Book
- Part Of:
- Etching and drypoint, printed from canceled plate on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 7/8 x 9 5/8 inches (32.7 x 24.4 cm), Plate: 5 7/8 x 4 1/2 inches (14.9 x 11.4 cm), Image: 5 7/8 x 4 1/2 inches (14.9 x 11.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "57 56"; inscribed in graphite, center left: "6 x 4 1/2"; lower right; "Not catalogued"
Lettered inside image, lower right: "Whistler. 1861"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Robert N. Whittemore, Yale BS 1943
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- belt | book | bow (costume accessory) | buckle | buttons | chair | dress | genre subject | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.