A Maiden Aunt Smelling Fire
- Additional Title(s):
Caught in the Act
- Watercolor and graphite with pen and red-brown and pen and gray ink on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Mount: 14 5/16 x 11 1/2 inches (36.4 x 29.2 cm), Sheet: 11 3/8 x 8 9/16 inches (28.9 x 21.7 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "C422"
Watermark; collector's mark: Henry Scipio Reitlinger (Lugt 2274a)
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, lower left: "Rowlandson 1804"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- candle | cat (domestic cat) | doorway | fire | genre subject | interior | lovers | maid | man | nude | shoes | smell | staircase | window
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Rowlandson Drawings from the Paul Mellon Collection (Royal Academy of Arts, 1978-03-04 - 1978-05-28) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Rowlandson Drawings from the Paul Mellon Collection (Yale Center for British Art, 1977-11-16 - 1978-01-15) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Simon Schama, Rowlandson in the Round, TLS, the Times Literary Supplement, Issue no. 3963, March 10, 1978, p. 282, Film S748 (SML) Also available Online in TLS Historical Archive (ORBIS) [ORBIS]