- A Village Scene with Girls Spinning
- Pen in gray and black ink with gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, blued white, laid paper
- Sheet: 13 3/8 x 18 7/8 inches (34 x 47.9 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink, verso, lower left: "Village Scene in Cornwall [Dev](crossed out) E E.", in graphite and brown red ink, lower center: "[?} of Rowlandson"; in graphite, lower right: "D.1384"; in brown ink, center right: "42 | 30 | 9 (underline) | 81 | 5 (underline) | 86 | 14 (underline) | 100 | 26 (underline) | 60 | 14 (underline) | 14 | 4 - 4 | 39"; in graphite, lower right: "This one to be laid down flat"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | cat (domestic cat) | children | dogs (animals) | genre subject | girls | men | piglets | pigs | spinning (textile process) | spinning wheels | village | windows | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, A Village Scene with Girls Spinning, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.