Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, Dr Syntax Meditating on the Tombstones, 1820
Dr Syntax Meditating on the Tombstones
- Additional Title(s):
Dr. Syntax at the Graveyard
- Watercolor and graphite with pen and red ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 4 7/16 x 7 7/16 inches (11.3 x 18.9 cm)
Signed in pen and red ink, lower left: "T. Rowlandson."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- children | church | churchyard | genre subject | horse (animal) | landscape | men | mourning | shovel | skulls (skeleton components) | tombstones | urn | vicar | woman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.