Melville Castle, Midlothian
- Former Title(s):
Chalfont House, Buckinghamshire
- ca. 1796
- Watercolor with pen in brown ink over graphite on thick, moderately textured, brown, wove mount paper
- Sheet: 6 7/8 x 9 1/4 inches (17.5 x 23.5 cm) and Mount: 10 3/16 x 12 11/16 inches (25.9 x 32.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen with brown ink, lower right: "T. Girtin"; Verso: in graphite, centera: "2" (encircled); in graphite, lower right; "Buckham | Chalfont | TG"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | child | clouds | figures | Gothic (Medieval) | Gothic architecture | grass | landscape | livestock | river | riverbank | road | stream | trees | woman
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Melville Castle | Midlothian | North Esk | Scotland | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, Melville Castle, Midlothian, ca. 1796
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.