Kirkstall Abbey, Yorkshire
- ca. 1801
- Graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream, antique laid paper
- Sheet: 3 15/16 x 8 1/16 inches (10 x 20.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, left center: "D2487"; in graphite, verso, center: "T, Girtin 1775-1802 | Kirksfall Abby | Col. Sir George Beaumont | This is the pencil study for the water colour | in the collection of T. Girtin, the artist's descendent | which is referred to in Jonathan Hague, 'Thomas | Giertin,' 1949, Plate 4 and note. | LGD"; in graphite, verso, lower left: "Bought, Feb 1951, from | Koc[?], to whom nthe present | Sir George Beaumont sold | his ancestor's Drawings in | 1950"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | boats | landscape | river | trees | water
- Associated Places:
- Aire | England | Europe | Kirkstall | Kirkstall Abbey | United Kingdom | Yorkshire
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, Kirkstall Abbey, Yorkshire, ca. 1801
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.