IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, The Tithe Barn at Abbotsbury with the Abbey on the hill.., ca. 1795
The Tithe Barn at Abbotsbury with the Abbey on the hill...
- ca. 1795
- Watercolor, pen and black ink and graphite mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, brown wove paper
- Sheet: 4 1/8 x 5 7/8 inches (10.5 x 14.9 cm), Mount: 4 13/16 x 6 5/8 inches (12.2 x 16.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "3" | inscribed in black ink: "Abbotsbury near Weymouth" | inscribed in brown ink: "Founded about 1026 by Orcius or Orking, Steward to the King Canute" | inscribed in black ink: "St. Catherine's Chapel is on the hill in the | [distance?]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | architectural subject | barn | clouds | cows | horses (animals) | livestock | men | milkmaid | pigs | pond | sky | thatched | tithe barn | trees | wagon | wheelbarrow
- Associated Places:
- Abbotsbury | Abbotsbury castle | Dorset | England | Europe | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Thomas Girtin (Yale Center for British Art, 1986-01-21 - 1986-03-30) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.