- The Tithe Barn at Abbotsbury with the Abbey on the hill...
- ca. 1795
- Watercolor, pen and black ink and graphite mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, brown wove paper
- Sheet: 4 1/8 x 5 7/8 inches (10.5 x 14.9 cm) and Mount: 4 13/16 x 6 5/8 inches (12.2 x 16.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "3" | inscribed in black ink: "Abbotsbury near Weymouth" | inscribed in brown ink: "Founded about 1026 by Orcius or Orking, Steward to the King Canute" | inscribed in black ink: "St. Catherine's Chapel is on the hill in the | [distance?]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | architectural subject | barn | clouds | cows | horses (animals) | livestock | men | milkmaid | pigs | pond | sky | thatched | tithe barn | trees | wagon | wheelbarrow
- Associated Places:
- Abbotsbury | Abbotsbury castle | Dorset | England | Europe | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, The Tithe Barn at Abbotsbury with the Abbey on the hill.., ca. 1795
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.