- Former Title(s):
View of Benares
- Watercolor with pen in brown ink over graphite and gouache on moderately thick, rough, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 13 1/2 x 20 inches (34.3 x 50.8 cm)
Inscribed lower left, with pen in brown ink: "(64) Benares 14 Decembr 1873. 2.30 PM".; lower center, with pen in brown ink: "A.Bathing rafts B. boats. C hazy blue Sandy. D sand. | E. Women above. F. Sheds on broken steps. G. green. H. cendery [...] | light off sky } croze | I. millions of pigeons J. gray L. gold. R, red"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Michael D. Coe, Yale MAH 1968
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architecture | bathers | bathing | boats | cityscape | flags | people | pigeons (general term) | river | sky | stairs | temples | trees
- Associated Places:
- Benares | Ganges | India | Varanasi
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.