Barges Heading out to Sea
- Gray wash with pen and black ink on cream, medium, slightly textured, laid paper mounted on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 7 1/4 x 11 1/2 inches (18.4 x 29.2 cm) and Mount: 11 1/2 × 15 5/8 inches (29.2 × 39.7 cm)
Inscribed on verso in black ink, upper center: "No. 73"; in graphite, center: "1073"; lower center: "-Serres- 17 1/4 13 1/8 7787"
Collector's mark: B
Signed in black ink, lower right: "D.S. 1782"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The U Collection. In appreciation of Choh Shiu and Man Foo U, loving parents, and Dorothea and Frank Cockett, dear friends
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barges (flat-bottomed watercraft) | maritime history | oceans | sailing ships | seamen | ships | water
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Dominic Serres RA, 1722–1793, French, active in Britain (from the 1750s), Barges Heading out to Sea, 1782
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.