- Christ Disputing with the Elders in the Temple
- Pen and brown ink with gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 5 5/8 × 10 inches (14.3 × 25.4 cm)
Inscribed in Richardardson's hand in pen and brown ink, on mount, lower center: "Laguerre" and in Walpole's hand in pen and brown ink on mount, upper center: "Christ disputing in the Temple"; in graphite on mount, verso: "Coll. of <...> | are in the | Louis Laguerre | B 1663 D172 | purchased at the Strawberry Hill back in 1842"; label attached to upper center of mount: "From the Strawberry Hill Collection"; Hand-writing of Horace Walpole.
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | dispute | elders | religious and mythological subject | temple
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Louis Laguerre, 1663–1721, French, active in Britain (from ca. 1684), Christ Disputing with the Elders in the Temple, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.