- 19th century
- Graphite and white chalk on moderately thick, slightly textured, gray wove paper, pasted on thick, smooth, gray card
- 10 5/8 × 9 inches (27 × 22.9 cm) and 9 1/2 × 7 5/8 inches (24.1 × 19.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower right: "British 19th A1523"; on back of mount, lower center: "G | 3 (encircled)"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Bequest of Joseph F. McCrindle, Yale LLB 1948
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- death | gesture | lamentation over the dead Christ by his relatives and friends (Christ usually without crown of thorns) | men | mourning | religious and mythological subject | sadness | weeping | women
- Associated People:
- Mary, mother of James the Less
Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
John the Evangelist, Saint (c. 1–c. 100 AD)
Mary Magdalene, Saint (early 1st c. AD – mid-late 1st c. AD)
The Virgin Mary
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.