- 19th century
- Graphite and white chalk on moderately thick, slightly textured, gray wove paper, pasted on thick, smooth, gray card
- Mount: 10 5/8 × 9 inches (27 × 22.9 cm) and Sheet: 9 1/2 × 7 5/8 inches (24.1 × 19.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower right: "British 19th A1523"; on back of mount, lower center: "G | 3 (encircled)"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Bequest of Joseph F. McCrindle, Yale LLB 1948
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- death | gesture | lamentation over the dead Christ by his relatives and friends (Christ usually without crown of thorns) | men | mourning | sadness | women
- Associated People:
- Mary, mother of James the Less
Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
John the Evangelist, Saint (c. 1–c. 100 AD)
Mary Magdalene, Saint (early 1st c. AD – mid-late 1st c. AD)
The Virgin Mary
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.