A Fashion in 1845
- Additional Title(s):
Shakespeare a Little Altered
Verso: Man with an Umbrella
- ca. 1845
- Graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper mounted on thick, smooth, blue card
- Mount: 16 × 11 1/2 inches (40.6 × 29.2 cm) and Sheet: 9 5/8 × 5 1/8 inches (24.4 × 13 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "Hello! this is [...] more | I swear(?) to bed with"; lower center: "Pin for your scarf Sir - you Sir - here's an | article we're selling a j[...] many of-"; on mount, center left: "Shakespeare a little altered | "He lived not wisely but | too well""; on mount, lower center: "A Fashion in 1845 | "A Pin for your scarf, Sir? Heres an Article we have | Sold a great many of."; on mount, lower right: "Hablot K. Brown or Cruikshank? C. Denison"; on back of mount, lower right: "225"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Bequest of Joseph F. McCrindle, Yale LLB 1948
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | fashion | genre subject | humor | injury | men | merchant | nose | parody | resting | satire | selling | store | top hat | umbrella
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
unknown artist, (Hablot K. Browne or Cruikshank?), A Fashion in 1845, ca. 1845
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.