Mrs. Yates in the Character of Medea
- after 1771
- Watercolor with pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- 15 x 10 1/4 inches (38.1 x 26 cm) and 11 × 7 1/2 inches (27.9 × 19.1 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower center: "Mrs. Yates"; in graphite, on back, lower right: "watercolor mrs yates | 18th cent British actress"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Bequest of Joseph F. McCrindle, Yale LLB 1948
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actress | boys | children | Classical | clouds | costume | crying | dark | fear | fist | gesture | Greek mythology | light | literary theme | Medea (play) | mother | necklace | night | play | religious and mythological subject | shielding | sons | stripes | theater (discipline) | woman
- Associated People:
- Yates [née Graham], Mary Ann (1728–1787), actress and theatre manager
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.