George Fox Is Beaten in the Steeple-House at Ulverston
- Part Of:
- between 1890 and 1911
- Etching and drypoint on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paperr
- Sheet: 9 5/16 x 11 11/16 inches (23.7 x 29.7 cm), Plate: 5 7/8 x 7 15/16 inches (15 x 20.2 cm), Image: 5 1/8 x 7 7/8 inches (13 x 20 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "George Fox his Journal. 1652."; lower center: "this Justice-Sawrey (who was the first Stirrer up of cruel Persecution in the North) incenced them against me, and set them on to hate, beat and bruise me | then on a sudden the People were in a Rage; and they fell upon me in the Steeple-house before his Face, and knock't me down, and kickt me, | and trampled upon me, he looking on; And so great was the Uproar, that some People tumbled over their Seats for fear. At last he came, and took me | from the People, and led me out of the Steeple-house, and put me into the Hands of the Constables and other Officers; bidding them Whip me, and | put me out of the Town. Then they led me about a quater of a Mile, taking hold by my Collar, and shook and dragg'd me along."
Signed in graphite, lower right: "Robert Spence"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of the George School, Newtown, Pennsylvania
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beating | books | capes | clubs | crowd | hats | historical subject | illustration | men | punishing | Religious Society of Friends | staffs | violence | whips
- Associated Places:
- Cumbria | England | Europe | Ulverston | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Fox, George (1624–1691), a founder of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Robert Spence, 1871–1964, British, George Fox Is Beaten in the Steeple-House at Ulverston, between 1890 and 1911
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.