George Fox in Carlisle Dungeon
- Part Of:
- between 1890 and 1911
- Etching and drypoint on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 9 3/4 x 12 5/16 inches (24.7 x 31.3 cm), Plate: 6 5/16 x 7 7/8 inches (16 x 20 cm), and Image: 5 11/16 x 7 7/8 inches (14.4 x 20 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "1st state"; lower right: "2"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "But I continnued in ye Dungeon amongst ye Moss-Troopers whoe were exceeding lousy. And ye two Joalers(?) were like two Beare-heards, | and ye Heade Joaler was very Cruel, and one time came in a great Rage, and fell abeatinge mee like a packe of wooll, with his great Cudgell, | and then hee fetcht a Fidler, thinking to vex mee thereby; But when he played, I was made to Sing in ye Lords Power, and my Voice droned ym | and struck ym and confounded ym and made ym give over Fidling and goe there ways."; lower right: "George Fox his Journal. Carlisle Dungeon. 1653."
Signed in graphite, lower right: "Robert Spence"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of the George School, Newtown, Pennsylvania
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | beating | column (architectural element) | correctional institution | criminals | dark | door | dungeon | fiddle | genre subject | hats | historical subject | illustration | interior | laughing | men | music | musician | pillar | prison | prisoners | punishment | Religious Society of Friends | singing | sleeping | stairs | violin
- Associated Places:
- Carlisle | Carlisle Castle | Cumbria | England | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Fox, George (1624–1691), a founder of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Spence, 1871–1964, British, George Fox in Carlisle Dungeon, between 1890 and 1911
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.