The Healing of the Lame Man
- Former Title(s):
St. Peter And St. John Healing The Sick
- Additional Title(s):
The Beautiful Gate of the Temple
- Part Of:
- after 1855
- Aquatint, etching, stipple engraving and color woodcut on thick, smooth cream wove paper mounted on contemporary cream card
- Mount: 8 3/8 x 9 15/16 inches (21.2 x 25.3 cm) and Image: 4 1/2 x 7 3/16 inches (11.5 x 18.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "E / w / G | 19"; center: "B + B | Signed"
Impression in contemporary mount, lower center: "(shield) PRINTED | IN OIL COLORS | BY | BRADSHAW & BLACKLOCK | LICENCEES | MANCHESTER | BY BAXTER | PATENTS | (rectangle) "THE BEAUTIFUL GATE | OF THE TEMPLE."
Lettered, in black ink, lower left inside image: "BRADSHAW & BLACKLOCK LICENCEES" (rest cut off)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beards | beards | beautiful | beggar | children | Christian | cloaks | columns | columns | disciples | discussion (meeting) | gate | healing of a lame beggar at the Beautiful Gate of the temple by Peter and John (Acts 3 - 4:31) | lamps | men | miracle | New Testament | people | religious | sculpture | staff | tapestry | temple | togas | women
- Associated People:
- John the Evangelist, Saint (c. 1–c. 100 AD)
Peter, the Apostle, St. (ca. 1 BC - ca. 68 AD)
Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
The Healing of the Lame Man (cartoon, 1515)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
after George Baxter, 1804–1867, British, The Healing of the Lame Man, after 1855
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.