The Sacrifice at Lystra
- Part Of:
- after 1855
- Etching and stipple engraving with aquatint and red color woodcut on thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Image: 5 1/4 x 8 1/4 inches (13.4 x 21 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "E / a | 20"; center: "Proof | Raphael Cartoon | Sacrifice at Lystra"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- altar | axe | beards | beards | boxes | celebration | Christian | cloaks | columns | disciples | discussion (meeting) | flutes | New Testament | pagan | preparation | preparation of the sacrificial celebration with oxen and garlands in front of the temple of Jupiter ~ Paul and Barnabas at Lystra | religious | sculpture | statues | tapestry | temple | togas
- Associated People:
- Barnabas, the Apostle, St. (died 61 AD)
The Sacrifice at Lystra (cartoon, 1515)
Paul, the Apostle, St. (c. AD 5–c. AD 67)
Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
George Baxter, 1804–1867, British, The Sacrifice at Lystra, after 1855
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.