- Former Title(s):
- February 14, 1867
- Brown ink, watercolor and gouache on medium brown moderately textured wove paper
- Frame: 17 1/8 x 27 1/2 x 1 inches (43.5 x 69.9 x 2.5 cm), Sheet: 10 × 20 1/8 inches (25.4 × 51.1 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in pen and brown ink center left: "sand sont"; in artist's hand in graphite center right: "sand [...]"; in artist's hand in pen and brown ink center right: "sands"; in artist's hand in graphite center right: [...]; in artist's hand in graphite lower left: "9am | 9AM [...] 1867 sand | Maharraka | Fallen stones grayer"; in artist's hand in pen and brown ink lower left: "(for No.3) Maharraka | 9. am. Febr 14 1867 | fallen stones grayer than the other front of temple ";in artist's hand pen and brown ink lower center: "sand", in artist's hand in graphite lower center: "sand"; in artist's hand in pen and brown ink lower right: "capitals very sharply perfectly cut"; in artist's hand in pen and brown ink lower right: "sand"; in artist's hand in graphite lower right: "sand [...]" in artist's hand in pen and brown ink lower right: "67"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Peter R. Spokes, Yale BA 1948, in memory of C.C. and C.B. Hogan, Yale BA 1928
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architecture | clouds | columns (architectural elements) | mountains | rocks (landforms) | ruins | temple | trees
- Associated Places:
- Africa | Egypt | Temple of Maharraqa
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Edward Lear, 1812–1888, British, Maharraka Temple, February 14, 1867
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.