- Former Title(s):
- February 14, 1867
- Brown ink, watercolor and gouache on medium brown moderately textured wove paper
- Frame: 17 1/8 x 27 1/2 x 1 inches (43.5 x 69.9 x 2.5 cm) and Sheet: 10 × 20 1/8 inches (25.4 × 51.1 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in pen and brown ink center left: "sand sont"; in artist's hand in graphite center right: "sand [...]"; in artist's hand in pen and brown ink center right: "sands"; in artist's hand in graphite center right: [...]; in artist's hand in graphite lower left: "9am | 9AM [...] 1867 sand | Maharraka | Fallen stones grayer"; in artist's hand in pen and brown ink lower left: "(for No.3) Maharraka | 9. am. Febr 14 1867 | fallen stones grayer than the other front of temple ";in artist's hand pen and brown ink lower center: "sand", in artist's hand in graphite lower center: "sand"; in artist's hand in pen and brown ink lower right: "capitals very sharply perfectly cut"; in artist's hand in pen and brown ink lower right: "sand"; in artist's hand in graphite lower right: "sand [...]" in artist's hand in pen and brown ink lower right: "67"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Peter R. Spokes, Yale BA 1948, in memory of C.C. and C.B. Hogan, Yale BA 1928
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architecture | clouds | columns (architectural elements) | mountains | rocks (landforms) | ruins | temple | trees
- Associated Places:
- Africa | Egypt | Temple of Maharraqa
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Edward Lear, 1812–1888, British, Maharraka Temple, February 14, 1867
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.