From Antique Coins
- Part Of:
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Spine: 7 1/8 inches (18.1 cm), Sheet: 7 x 4 1/8 inches (17.8 x 10.5 cm), and Image: 5 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches (13.3 x 8.3 cm)
Lettered: "From Antique Coins. | POLLIO | GALLUS | AGRIPPA | VARUS | MECAENAS"; lower center: "POLLIO was a Poet, a General, & a great favourite to Agustus, & was twice Consul. | GALLUS was made Praefect of Egypt, a Poet, who slew himself having ruled Tyrannically. | AGRIPPA a famous General to Augustus, commanded in all his battles, & was married to Julia daughter to Augustus. | VARUS was of noble extraction, Father to Maia, Virgil's wife, was also a Poet, & Governor of Gisalpine Gaul. | MACAENAS was prime Minister to Augustus, & died 7 Years after the birth of Christ. | London, Published by Dr.Thornton, 1821."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- antique | bust | coins | laurel | portrait
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.