A Lady and Her Children Relieving a Cottager
- Mezzotint and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 5/16 × 21 3/4 inches (44 × 55.3 cm) and Image (trimmed to plate): 16 5/8 × 21 3/4 inches (42.2 × 55.2 cm)
Lettered, below image, lower left: "Painted by W,, Bigg."; below image, lower center: "A LADY and her CHILDREN relieving a COTTAGER. | London. Publish'd March 1 1781. by I. Birchell. No 473. Strand"; below image, lower right: "Engrav'd by J.R. Smith."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baby | basket | beggar | charity | children | children | coin | costume | cottage | country house | dog (animal) | fence | genre subject | mother | parasol | portrait | promenade | servant | turban | umbrella | walking
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Figures of Empire : Slavery and Portraiture in Eighteenth-Century Atlantic Britain, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2014, p. 42, V 2556 (YCBA)