A Lecture on Gadding
- Etching, stipple engraving, and mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 18 7/16 x 15 1/16 inches (46.9 x 38.2 cm), Plate: 15 7/8 x 12 15/16 inches (40.4 x 32.8 cm), and Image: 13 1/8 x 11 1/16 inches (33.3 x 28.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "(IR74/583)"
stamped in blue ink, on back, center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in brown ink, lower center: "Painted by J. R. Smith"; lower center: "A LECTURE ON GADDING. | Publishd Jany. 1, 1789 by I. R. Smith No. 31 King Street Covent Garden"; lower right: "Engrav'd by F. Bartolozzi R A"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armchair | basket | bonnet (hat) | book | bow (costume accessory) | bust | carpet | chair | Classical | costume | curls | dog (animal) | feathers | furniture | genre subject | gesture | gowns | hat | interior (space) | leaning | leisure | man | painting (visual work) | pleasure | reading | sculpture | sword stick | women | writing (processes)
- Associated People:
- Bannister, John (1760–1836), actor
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), A Lecture on Gadding, 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.