Dr Syntax & Dairymaid
- Additional Title(s):
Dr. Syntax and the Milk Maid (Study 1)
- Watercolor with pen and red ink and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 8 11/16 x 11 1/4 inches (22.1 x 28.6 cm) and Sheet: 5 5/16 x 7 13/16 inches (13.5 x 19.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "N 35. The Doctor makes strong Love to Kitty over a Bowl of Cream. and endeavours | to enforce his old friend Madam's Doctrine on Plurality of Wives --"; in graphite, on mount, lower right: "10" [encircled]; in graphite, on mount, upper left: "Please mount separately to show part of old mount"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bucket (vessel) | butter churns | cat (domestic cat) | dairymaids | dishes | doorway | elderly | genre subject | hat | interior | kitchen | man | shelves, hanging | shovel | stairs | Table - mixing | window | woman | youth
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, Dr Syntax & Dairymaid, 1821
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.