Embarkation at Southampton, June 20th 1794 (Version A)
- Additional Title(s):
Embarkation of Lord Moira's Troops at Southampton, 20 June 1794 (Preliminary Study)
- Pen and brown and gray ink with gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige, antique laid paper
- Sheet: 8 9/16 x 11 3/16 inches (21.7 x 28.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Embarcation at Southampton"; in graphite, upper right: "June 20th after Ld Howe's Action"; in graphite, verso, lower left: "Embarcation at Southampton June 20th after Lord How"s action"
Watermarks: print of watermark visible resembles fig 172 in Shorter: John Taylor 1787 - 95; Paul Mellon collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | buildings | chimneys (architectural elements) | marine art | men | military art | oars | pier (marine landing) | soldiers | trees | water | Weapons and Ammunition | windows
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Hampshire | Southampton | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, Embarkation at Southampton, June 20th 1794 (Version A), 1794
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.