The Oracle, Representing Britannia, Hibernia, Scotia and America
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 22 × 26 1/4 inches (55.9 × 66.7 cm), Plate: 20 1/2 × 23 1/8 inches (52.1 × 58.7 cm), and Image: 20 1/2 × 23 1/8 inches (52.1 × 58.7 cm)
Inscribed lower center in graphite: "<...> | The Oracle"; inscribed on verso in graphite upper left: "Mr"; upper right: "23"; lower left: "C18907 | axx - | 0810"; lower right: "103 | opo | Ru | 25"
Collector's mark: "F.P.G."
Lettered lower left: "Invt Drawn & Engrav'd by J. Dixon. P[...] According to Act of Parliamt March 30, 1774"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- feathers | globe | headdress | lantern | priest | religious and mythological subject | snake | wings
- Associated People:
Father Time, man with wings and scythe
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Dixon, ca. 1740–1811, Irish, The Oracle, Representing Britannia, Hibernia, Scotia and America, 1774
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.