IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
George Romney, 1734–1802, British, Sketch for Witches and Youths in a Cavern, undated
Sketch for Witches and Youths in a Cavern
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: Fake L'Allegro and Il Penseroso
- Graphite; verso: gray wash on medium, slightly textured, blue white laid paper
- Sheet: 5 5/8 x 6 3/4 inches (14.3 x 17.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "[...] L.D. Cambridge | [...] + Melancholy | Negative 73/50 (3) [...]"; lower right: "227"; on verso in graphite, upper left: "184"; lower right: "927"
Oval collector's mark: Xavier Haas (Lugt 4541)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. J. Richardson Dilworth, B.A. 1938, to the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cavern | historical subject | witches
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.