IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Sir John Frederick William Herschel, first Baronet, 1792–1871, British, The Coliseum, Rome, 1824
The Coliseum, Rome
- Graphite camera lucida drawing on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Mount: 10 × 15 1/4 inches (25.4 × 38.7 cm), Sheet: 8 × 12 1/4 inches (20.3 × 31.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper center: 'No. 369"; lower center: "The Coliseum, Rome"; lower right: "(with extreme care & precision)"
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, lower left: "JFW Herschel delin. Cam. Luc. May 17. 1824."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | coliseum
- Associated Places:
- Colosseum | Italy | Rome
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.