- Sketchbook from Calcutta to Peshawar
- Sketchbook with fifty-six graphite drawings, some in watercolor on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Spine: 4 1/4 inches (10.8 cm), Sheet: 3 15/16 × 5 7/8 inches (10 × 14.9 cm), and Overall: 4 1/4 × 6 1/8 × 3/8 inches (10.8 × 15.5 × 0.9 cm)
Inscribed label on front cover in pen and black ink: "India. Calcutta to Pershawar. | and back to Umritser | 1859. 60. | Thick."; inscribed inside front cover in graphite: "Birds of a feather flock together | Hum jins ba hum jins pwiwaz | We people with people together. | Kubootre ba Kubootre baz ba baz (Hafis) | Pigeons with pigeons Hawks with Hawks. | Kindred souls together walk | Done with done and Hawk with hawk | Man likes to chum with what he loves | As hawks with hawks and doves with doves"
Signed and dated in graphite, inside cover: "William Simpson | 23 Decr. 1859"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Paul F. Walter
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors-Sketchbooks
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | camel (mammal) | carriage | figure study | genre subject | horse (animal)
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Simpson, 1823–1899, British, Sketchbook from Calcutta to Peshawar, 1859
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.