Ruins of Palace of Gallienus, Amphitheatre of Bordeaux
- Former Title(s):
- Part Of:
- Watercolor and graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- 16 1/8 × 12 7/8 inches (41 × 32.7 cm) and 16 1/8 inches (41 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: "Amphitheatre of Bordeaux. | called the palace of Galienus."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: <all the ... work is .... 2 yellowish brown | the horizontal lines invariably......| the Horisontal lines should be....>; inscribed in graphite, center right: <...stone wall | all...>; inscribed in graphite, upper center: "Gyuene | amp. Gironde"
Signed in pen and ink, lower right: "CHS"; dated, lower left: "30 Nov 1819."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | landscape
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Hamilton Smith, 1776–1859, Belgian, Ruins of Palace of Gallienus, Amphitheatre of Bordeaux, 1819
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.