An Extraordinary Animal, Neither an Opossum nor a Kangaroo but Having Something of Both
- Part Of:
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 17 5/8 x 11 13/16 inches (44.8 x 30 cm) and Image: 12 7/8 x 10 1/2 inches (32.7 x 26.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "8.00"; lower center: "o'connell"; lower right: "3 (circled)"; on back, upper left: "#7 _ 969"
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 383"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "Published by T. McLean, 26 Haymarklet, 26 March 1835"; lower center: "AN EXTRAORDINARY ANIMAL, | Neither an Opossum nor a Kangaroo but having something of both"; lower right: "Ducote's & Stephen's Lithogy 70 St Martin's Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Gift of Brian and Linda Gracie
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | hat | parody | political | politicians | pouch | satire | sketches
- Associated People:
- Grey, Henry George, 3rd Earl Grey (1802 - 1894), Secretary of State for the Colonies, Lord Lieutenant
Grant, Charles, Baron Glenelg (1778-1866), Secretary for the colonies
Rice, Thomas Spring, 1st Baron Monteagle of Brandon (1790-1866), Whig politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer
Russell, Lord John, 1st Earl Russell of Kingston Russell (1792-1878), politician/statesman
O'Connell, Daniel (1775–1847), Irish nationalist leader
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, An Extraordinary Animal, Neither an Opossum nor a Kangaroo but Having Something of Both, 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.