An Extraordinary Animal, Neither an Opossum nor a Kangaroo but Having Something of Both
- Part Of:
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- 17 5/8 x 11 13/16 inches (44.8 x 30 cm) and 12 7/8 x 10 1/2 inches (32.7 x 26.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "8.00"; lower center: "o'connell"; lower right: "3 (circled)"; on back, upper left: "#7 _ 969"
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 383"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "Published by T. McLean, 26 Haymarklet, 26 March 1835"; lower center: "AN EXTRAORDINARY ANIMAL, | Neither an Opossum nor a Kangaroo but having something of both"; lower right: "Ducote's & Stephen's Lithogy 70 St Martin's Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Gift of Brian and Linda Gracie
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal | animal art | faces | hat | kangaroo | parody | political | politicians | possum | pouch | satire | sitting | sketches
- Associated People:
- Grey, Henry George, 3rd Earl Grey (1802 - 1894), Secretary of State for the Colonies, Lord Lieutenant
Grant, Charles, Baron Glenelg (1778-1866), Secretary for the colonies
Rice, Thomas Spring, 1st Baron Monteagle of Brandon (1790-1866), Whig politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer
Russell, Lord John, 1st Earl Russell of Kingston Russell (1792-1878), politician/statesman
O'Connell, Daniel (1775–1847), Irish nationalist leader
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, An Extraordinary Animal, Neither an Opossum nor a Kangaroo but Having Something of Both, 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.