Sealing the Stone and Setting a Watch
- 1800 to 1803
- Watercolor, with pen, in gray ink, black ink and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, wove paper
- Sheet: 20 × 16 15/16 inches (50.8 × 43 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 18 15/16 × 16 inches (48.1 × 40.6 cm), and Image: 16 x 13 1/8 inches (40.6 x 33.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper center: "IX"; in black ink, lower right: "Matthew XXVIIc 66v" in graphite, lower center: "Sealing the Stone & setting a Watch."; in black chalk, lower left: "Blake's own mount"; inscribed on back in graphite, upper center: "IX"; in graphite center: "No 5"; in graphite, lower center: "No - 161 - Page 228"; in graphite, lower left, encircled: "2"; in graphite, lower right: "(55.9.5)"
Signed (in monogram) in black ink, lower right: "inv WB"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Everett V. Meeks, B.A. 1901 Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armor | cement | joust | ladder | masonry | men | mortar | pike | religious and mythological subject | sepulcher | soldier | spear | stone | tomb | trowel
- View by request in the Study Room
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
William Blake, 1757–1827, British, Sealing the Stone and Setting a Watch, 1800 to 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.