The Widow Embracing Her Husband's Grave
- Additional Title(s):
Prone on the Lowly Grave - She Drops-
- 1805 to 1808
- Pen and gray ink with graphite and watercolor on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 x 8 1/8 inches (15.2 x 20.6 cm) and Mount: 10 3/8 x 13 inches (26.4 x 33 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in graphite and brown ink, lower center: "Prone on the lowly grave - she drops - | Clings yet more closeley to the senseless turf | Nor heeds the passenger who looks that way."; inscribed in graphite and brown ink, verso, center: "78"; in graphite, verso, lower right: "2"
Signed in artist's hand in graphite and brown ink, lower right : "W. Blake. del"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- church | couple | genre subject | graves | graveyard | husband | man | mourning | spire | tombstones | widow | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
William Blake, 1757–1827, British, The Widow Embracing Her Husband's Grave, 1805 to 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.