Black Monday or the Departure for School
- Mezzotint with hand coloring in watercolor and white gouache on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 25 1/8 × 30 × 1 inches (63.8 × 76.2 × 2.5 cm), 17 3/4 × 22 1/2 inches (45.1 × 57.2 cm), and 15 7/8 × 21 1/4 inches (40.3 × 54 cm)
Lettered below image: "Painted by W.R.Bigg A. | Engraved by Iohn Jones | Principal Engraver to his Royal Highness the Duke of York | BLACK MONDAY. or the Departure for SCHOOL. | Pubd. as the act directs. Decr. ye 1st, 1790 by W.B.Bigg No.11 Tavistock Row Covent Garden"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Celia Hopkinson
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bonnets | children | fruit basket | genre subject | hats | piano | tea | women
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Jones, ca. 1745–1797, British, Black Monday or the Departure for School, 1790
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.