Landscape with a Castle on a Hill in Center Distance
- between 1745 and 1748
- Gray and brown wash with pen and black ink, over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper, prepared with yellow wash
- Sheet: 5 5/16 x 7 3/8 inches (13.5 x 18.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "17 | Wm. GILPIN"
artist's stamp of William Gilpin, lower left: "WG"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | cliff | hill | landscape | rocks (landforms) | trees
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Rev. William Gilpin, 1724–1804, British, Landscape with a Castle on a Hill in Center Distance, between 1745 and 1748
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.