Priory At Dover
- Watercolor and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 10 3/16 x 14 5/8in. (25.9 x 37.1cm) and 10 1/8 × 14 5/8 inches (25.7 × 37.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left, "buildings too low/ The Priory at Dover"; in graphite, upper center, "Shadows too broad. [...]"; in graphite, upper right, "[...] too broad/ some plough handles [illegible] in light just behind the horses head"; in graphite, bottom center, "ground wet [?] + darker"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | archway | cottage | mountains | priory
- Associated Places:
- Dover | England | Europe | Kent | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
William Sawrey Gilpin, 1762–1843, British, Priory At Dover, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.