Priory At Dover
- Watercolor and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 3/16 x 14 5/8in. (25.9 x 37.1cm) and Sheet: 10 1/8 × 14 5/8 inches (25.7 × 37.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left, "buildings too low/ The Priory at Dover"; in graphite, upper center, "Shadows too broad. [...]"; in graphite, upper right, "[...] too broad/ some plough handles [illegible] in light just behind the horses head"; in graphite, bottom center, "ground wet [?] + darker"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | archway | cottage | mountains | priory
- Associated Places:
- Dover | England | Europe | Kent | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
William Sawrey Gilpin, 1762–1843, British, Priory At Dover, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.