The Peake of Tenerife
- Watercolor, pen, gray ink, brown ink, black ink, gray wash, and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 3/4 x 16 7/8 inches (34.9 x 42.9 cm)
Inscribed on back in pen and brown ink, center left: "E.C.M." [Edward Charles Mitchell ?]; in pen and brown ink, center right: "Alfred Diston | Tenerife | 1829"; in pen and brown ink, lower center: "The Peake of Tenerife | seen from la Estancia de la Sierra, at the entrance of the plain called Las Canadas | The medium height of this plain, called by Humbolt that of the spartum Nubigerum is | by hims [?] estimated at 9800 feet above the level of the sea, & its total extent about 9 leagues"
Signed and dated on back in pen and brown ink, center right: "Alfred Diston | Tenerife | 1829"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- landscape | mountain | rocks (landforms) | volcano
- Associated Places:
- Canarias | España | Europe | Santa Cruz de Tenerife | Tenerife
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.