The Peake of Tenerife
- Watercolor, pen, gray ink, brown ink, black ink, gray wash, and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 3/4 x 16 7/8 inches (34.9 x 42.9 cm)
Inscribed on back in pen and brown ink, center left: "E.C.M." [Edward Charles Mitchell ?]; in pen and brown ink, center right: "Alfred Diston | Tenerife | 1829"; in pen and brown ink, lower center: "The Peake of Tenerife | seen from la Estancia de la Sierra, at the entrance of the plain called Las Canadas | The medium height of this plain, called by Humbolt that of the spartum Nubigerum is | by hims [?] estimated at 9800 feet above the level of the sea, & its total extent about 9 leagues"
Signed and dated on verso in pen and brown ink, center right: "Alfred Diston | Tenerife | 1829"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- landscape | mountain | rocks (landforms) | volcano
- Associated Places:
- Canarias | España | Europe | Santa Cruz de Tenerife | Tenerife
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Past Time - Geology in European and American Art (Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art, 2019-02-16 - 2019-05-12) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Past Time - Geology in European and American Art (Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center, 2018-09-21 - 2018-12-09) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]