The Battle of Cape St. Vincent
- Watercolor, graphite and black ink on medium, moderately thick, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 4 1/8 x 8in. (10.5 x 20.3cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 4 5/8 × 8 5/8 inches (11.7 × 21.9 cm)
Inscription on mount in brown and black ink, lower left: The centre of the British line | tacking after having cut off | hart of the Spanish Fleet 14. Feb 1797 | By R Cleavely late marine | draughtsman to the King | When in the navy. "
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- fleet | marine art | military art | sea | ships | smoke
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Robert Cleveley, 1747–1809, British, The Battle of Cape St. Vincent, 1797
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.