- Achilles in the Sulks after his Retreat, or, The Great Captain on the Stool of Repentance!!
- Etching with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 17 × 11 3/4 inches (43.2 × 29.8 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 × 9 3/4 inches (35.2 × 24.8 cm), and Image: 10 3/4 × 8 5/8 inches (27.3 × 21.9 cm)
Lettered inside image: "Battle of Waterloo | His M-j-sty accepts | the resignation of his | Grace the Duke of | W-ll-ngt-n with | the same regret | that it is commui- | nicated | Com.'r in Cheif"; lettered below image, center: "T. fec't London Pub'd May 7 1827 by G. Humphrey 27 St. James St. | Achilles in the Sulks after his Retreat, or, | The Great Captain on the Stool of Repentance!! | -here for brutal courage far renowned, | I live an idle burden to the ground, | (others in counsil fam'd for nobler skill | more usefull to preserve than I to kill;) Vide Hom'dll.1.1.8".
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Godfrey Pearlson
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by unknown artist, Achilles in the Sulks after his Retreat, or, The Great Captain on the Stool of Repentance!!, 1827
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.