Tail Piece, or the Bathos
- Etching with line engraving
- Sheet: 12 3/8 × 13 1/4 inches (31.4 × 33.7 cm), Plate: , Image:
Lettered upper center; 'TAIL PIECE"; lettered lower left: "Design'd and Engrav'd by Wm. Hogarth. | The Conic Form in w'ch the Goddess of | Beauty was worship'd by the Ancients | at Paphos in y'e Island of Cyrpus. | See the Medals struck when | a Roman Emperor visited | the Temple."; lettered lower center: "THE BATHOS, | or Manner of Sinking, in Sublime Paintings, | inscribed to the Dealers in Dark Pictures. † | "Simulacrum Deæ non effigie humana: | continuus orbis lariore initio tenuem in | ambitum, metæ modo; exsurgens et ratio | in obscuro." Tacit: Hift: Lib: 2 | "Venus a Paphiis colitur; coius Simula = | =crum nulli rei magis assimile, quam | albæ Pyramidi" | Maximus Tyrius: Anni: 157 | † See the manner of disgracing y'e, most Se= | =rious Subjects, in many celebrated Old | Pictures; by introducing low, absurd, ab= | =scene & often prophane Circumstances into them."; letter lower right: "Publish'd according to Act of Parliam't March 3'd 1764. | A Copy of the precise line of Beauty, as it | is represented on the 1st explanatory | Plate of thee A=nalysis of Beauty. | Note, the familia=rity of these two | Conic Figures, did not occur to | the Author; till two or three Years- | after his publicati=on on the Analy= | sis, in 1754. | * fig. 26.".
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art,Gift of Suzanne and William H. Speaker
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bell | book | broken | caricature | chariot | clouds | corpse | destruction | devil | flying | gallows | horse (animal) | hourglass | jug | moon | palette | pipe | religious and mythological subject | rifle | scroll | scythe | sign | smoking (activity) | tombstone | tree | wings
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Hogarth, 1697–1764, British, Tail Piece, or the Bathos, 1764
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.