The Villa Medici, Rome
- Watercolor over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 13 5/8 x 20 1/4 inches (34.6 x 51.4 cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 16 1/4 x 22 3/4 inches (41.3 x 57.8 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, lower left: "JS[in monogram] 1784"; in black ink, verso, lower center: "Villa Medici at Rome, from the Strada Babourni"
watermark: Fleur-de-Lis type
Signed and dated in black ink, lower left: "JS[in monogram] 1784"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cityscape | clouds | Grand Tour | landscape | trees | villa | windows
- Associated Places:
- Italy | Rome
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
John Baskett, Paul Mellon's Legacy: a Passion for British Art: Masterpieces from the Yale Center for British Art, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2007, p. 269, no. 57, pl. 57, N5220 M552 P38 2007 OVERSIZE (YCBA)
Paul Mellon's Legacy, a passion for British art. [large print labels] , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2007, v. 2, no. 57, N5220 M552 +P381 2007, Mellon Shelf (YCBA)