- Capitals and A & B Bas-Reliefs in the Abbey Church of Saint Georges de Bocherville, near Rouen, Normandy
- Graphite and brown wash on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 3/4 x 8 7/8 inches (29.8 x 22.5 cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 15 1/2 x 11 3/4 inches (39.4 x 29.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "J.S. Cotman 1817."; in graphite, lower left: "Capitals, and A & B bas-reliefs in the Abbey Church of St Georges de Bocherville"
Collector's mark: RIBA blind embossed stamp; watermark: on first mount; blind stamp: Thomas Creswick Improved DrawG. Paper Rough.
Signed and dated in graphite, lower left: "J.S. Cotman 1817."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | architectural subject | bas-reliefs | capitalism | capitals | church | horses (animals) | Medieval | monsters
- Associated Places:
- Abbey Saint-Georges de Boscherville | France | Normandy | Rouen | Saint-Martin de Boscherville
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, Capitals and A & B Bas-Reliefs in the Abbey Church of Saint Georges de Bocherville, near Rouen, Normandy, 1818
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.