IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, Capitals and A & B Bas-Reliefs in the Abbey Church of Saint Georges de Bocherville, near Rouen, Normandy, 1818
Capitals and A & B Bas-Reliefs in the Abbey Church of Saint Georges de Bocherville, near Rouen, Normandy
- Graphite and brown wash on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 3/4 x 8 7/8 inches (29.8 x 22.5 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 15 1/2 x 11 3/4 inches (39.4 x 29.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "J.S. Cotman 1817."; in graphite, lower left: "Capitals, and A & B bas-reliefs in the Abbey Church of St Georges de Bocherville"
Collector's mark: RIBA blind embossed stamp; watermark: on first mount; blind stamp: Thomas Creswick Improved DrawG. Paper Rough.
Signed and dated in graphite, lower left: "J.S. Cotman 1817."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | architectural subject | bas-reliefs | capitalism | capitals | church | horses (animals) | Medieval | monsters
- Associated Places:
- Abbey Saint-Georges de Boscherville | France | Normandy | Saint-Martin de Boscherville
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.