Caverns Excavated in the Rock within the Castle of Chateau Gaillard, near Andelys, Normandy
- Graphite and brown wash on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- 8 1/8 x 15 inches (20.6 x 38.1 cm) and 12 1/4 x 17 7/8 inches (31.1 x 45.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper left: "38"; in graphite, lower left: "Skd. July 24th 1818. Drawn 1822 J S Cotman"; in graphite, lower left: "Caverns excavated in the Rock within the Castle of Chateau Gaillard, near Andelys"
Collector's mark: RIBA blind embossed stamp
Signed and dated in graphite, lower left: "Skd. July 24th 1818. Drawn 1822 J S Cotman"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | caverns | château
- Associated Places:
- Andelys, les | France | Normandy
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Cotman in Normandy (Dulwich Picture Gallery, 2012-10-10 - 2013-01-13) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Timothy Wilcox, Cotman in Normandy, Dulwich Picture Gallery, London, 2012, pp. 72-73, no. 25, NJ18.C81 W55 2012 + OVERSIZE (YCBA) [YCBA]