Castle at Alencon
- ca. 1820
- Graphite and brown wash on medium slightly textured cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 1/2 x 13 inches (24.1 x 33 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Castle of Alencon"; lower right: "4"
Collector's mark: RIBA blind embossed stamp
Signed and dated in graphite, lower left: "J. S. Cotman 1820"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | beggar | bridge (built work) | castle | moat | river
- Associated Places:
- Alencon | Briante | Europe | France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, Castle at Alencon, ca. 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.