IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, West Doorway and Window in the Church of Ham near Valognes, Normandy, 1818
West Doorway and Window in the Church of Ham near Valognes, Normandy
- Graphite and brown wash on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 12 1/2 x 8 3/8 inches (31.8 x 21.3 cm), Contemporary drawn border: , Mount: 14 1/2 × 10 1/2 inches (36.8 × 26.7 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper left: "No. V"; in graphite, lower left: "West Doorway & Window of the Church of Ham near Valognes."
Collector's mark: Royal Institute of British Architects
Signed and dated in graphite, lower left: "J.S. Cotman Sepr. 1818."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | church | doorway | window
- Associated Places:
- France | Ham | Normandy | Valognes
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.