The Rise of the Stocks (One of a Set of Three)
- Watercolor and brown ink over graphite on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 5/8 x 8 3/4 inches (16.8 x 22.2 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink, upper center: "The Rise of the Stocks"; inscribed on verso in graphite: "J.S. Cotman at 17 years of age | The other's signed J.S. Cotman | 1799 | Paper water mark is 1794 | Bought at the Red Cross sale | gift 782 | presented by Miss Fison | Friars Close Thetford Norfolk | Gift no. RC 782"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- documents | figure study | men | stocks
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, The Rise of the Stocks (One of a Set of Three), 1799
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.